Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Heikki Linnakangas

> I'm sure it depends on the user. Users that are more interested in the
> features we already have in the bag like window functions and WITH-clause,
> will obviously prefer to release earlier without hot standby. And users that
> want hot standby (or SE-postgresql) will prefer to delay the release and
> have those features included.

At LinuxLive (UK) the overwhelming majority of people I spoke to over
three days wanted hot standby and replication (preferably
multi-master, but thats another story). Window functions, recursive
queries, SE PostgreSQL, updatable views and other new features were
barely mentioned.

> There's still a list of non-resolved issues that I estimate will take about
> two weeks to address. And there's a good possibility that new issues arise,
> which require yet more time.

That doesn't seem like it's worth deferring such a useful feature for
12+ months for - especially as the work is clearly ongoing and can
happen in parallel with work on other patches.

As I've pointed out before, we're not a commercial company working for
our shareholders, we're a FOSS project working for our end users. If
we can include an important and popular feature like this at the
expense of a few weeks extra wait for the release, it seems to me that
we'll be serving our users far better overall than making a fair
percentage of them wait another 12 months for work that is more or
less complete.

--
Dave Page