Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de> writes:
>
>> I originally had the idea of a GUC which controls wether automatic rules
>> will be generated or not. But I abonded this idea, since this has some kind
>> of "parametrized SQL standard functionality".
>>

> We have GUCs like that already, for exactly the same reason: backwards
> compatibility with prior releases in which some feature didn't work as
> per SQL standard.  I think the argument that "no existing application
> is going to be expecting these auto rules to appear" is pretty strong.
> Arguably, pg_dump from an older version should make sure that the auto
> rules should NOT get created, else it is failing to preserve an older
> view's behavior.

+1

We certainly can't just throw old apps to the wolves in the name of
standards compliance.

> The main question in my mind is whether we should have a turn-off
> feature that is global (GUC) or per-view (reloption).  One difficulty
> with a reloption is that there's no way to set it on a view until after
> you've done CREATE VIEW, whereupon it's too late --- the auto rules
> are already there, and surely the reloption mechanism isn't going to
> know how to make them go away.

Maybe something like CREATE VIEW .... WITHOUT UPDATE;

I actually like the idea of being able to turn update on and off for a view.

cheers

andrew