Re: New pg_dump patch, --no-stats flag, disables sending to statistics collector - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bryce Nesbitt
Subject Re: New pg_dump patch, --no-stats flag, disables sending to statistics collector
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:
> I'd argue that it is generally desired (or some convenient workaround)
> but not urgently so.  I'd also argue that if we're going to have a
> --no-stats flag, it should exist for the other client ultilites as
> well; if I don't want pg_dump showing up, I probably don't want Vacuum
> showing up, or various other already-debugged maintenance routines.
>
> I'd suggest putting this into the first patch review for 8.5.
>
> --Josh

As pg_dumpall calls pg_dump, I think this is covered or at least
coverable. For vaccum, I've never seen that activity in stats? Can you
supply a more specific scenario where routine maintenance is harmfully
cluttering the stats table?  A specific utility that needs attention?

For this feature I'm not so sure about "generally desired" -- I'll bet
most people don't even think about this.   The question is among those
who DO think about it, what's the best behavior?  Can it be argued that
excluding pg_dump is "generally desirable", for the average use case?

If there is not enough demand for a dedicated flag, I may submit a man
page patch documenting the Do-It-Yourself solution proposed by Greg
Smith, or the one proposed by Tom Lane.
                     G'day                     -Bryce

PS: Note that no respondent on the psql user's lists thought excluding
pg_dump was even possible -- so that at least argues for desirability of
instructional material :-).