Re: libpq WSACleanup is not needed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Chernow
Subject Re: libpq WSACleanup is not needed
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Personally, I don't think its the job of libpq to call wsa startup or
>> shutdown.  Pulling it out now will surely break existing apps and piss
>
> I'm afraid it is. Looking at the API docs, the very first paragraph says:
> "The WSAStartup function must be the first Windows Sockets function
> called by an application or DLL. It allows an application or DLL to
> specify the version of Windows Sockets required and retrieve details of
> the specific Windows Sockets implementation. The application or DLL can
> only issue further Windows Sockets functions after successfully calling
> WSAStartup."

I just think libpq should provide a way of turning off built in startups.
Outside of my original per-conn performance concern, an application may want
libpq to use a version of winsock that is different than the one libpq is using.  After reading the very handy doc
blurbyou so graciously supplied, it appears

to be one of the main reasons wsastartup exists ;-)

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC