Re: Floating point error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Duffey
Subject Re: Floating point error
Date
List pgsql-general
On Feb 24, 2013, at 8:44 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> =
wrote:

> On 02/24/2013 06:13 PM, Tom Duffey wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>=20
>> Riddle me this. I have a database column of type "real" that gets =
mapped to a Java field of type double via JDBC. We have two databases, =
test and production, and the test database is periodically blown away =
and reloaded from a copy of production. We recently noticed that some =
values do not match when viewed within our application on test vs. =
production. More specifically:
>>=20
>> - Selecting values from both test and production DBs using psql shows =
"10.3885" as the value
>> - The Java app on production shows "10.3884573" while the test app =
shows "10.3885"
>>=20
>> I have a hunch that when the value was originally inserted into the =
production DB it probably contained more than the 6 digits supported by =
the real data type. It may have even been exactly the "10.3884573" value =
we see when retrieving via JDBC on production. What I don't understand =
is why when the value gets mapped back to Java via JDBC those extra =
digits are coming back. Can anyone explain this or do you think I'm on =
the wrong track? I stepped through code and it sure seems like the extra =
information is coming back from the JDBC driver.
>=20
> Are the production and test apps running on the same platform i.e. OS, =
bitness, etc.

Yes, the production and test apps are running on the same platform. The =
Java apps themselves are physically on the same Linux server. The =
production and test databases reside within the same instance of =
PostgreSQL.

Also, I should have mentioned up front that I am well aware of the =
pitfalls of using floating point values and also the fact that =
PostgreSQL's "real" data type supports 6 digits of precision. What I do =
not understand is why my JDBC driver is returning more information than =
what I receive in psql or if I operate on a copy of the database. This =
leads me to believe that more information was available at insertion =
time and is somehow being made available to my application even though =
the data type should only store 6 digits. Let me see if I can write a =
quick little test case.

Tom

--
Tom Duffey