Re: Use PSQLFS for photo storage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Long
Subject Re: Use PSQLFS for photo storage
Date
List pgsql-general
Steven Lembark wrote:
I would like to use PSQLFS(http://www.edlsystems.com/psqlfs/)
to store 100 GB of images in PostgreSQL.

Once they are in there I can deal with them.  My main purpose is to use
rsync to get the files into the database.

Is there a better way to load 20,000 plus files reliably into Postgres?
Don't: put them into a reasonably-organized filesystem
and store the paths.
This is exactly what I do not want to do.  I do not want to deal with the file system at all except for initial import.  I want to manage the photos entirely with SQL.
I use dir names of date-venue-descr
and basenames of the dir-image number (e.g.,
"2009.01.12-foo-bar/123-4567.nef"). You'll probably find
that moving the data into a viewer using a path will be
simpler than pumping the raw data through postgres
anyway.
Please explain.  What does moving the data into a viewer using a path mean.
At that point you could create COPY statements that look
like a pg_dump output to load the stuff the first time.

Please elaborate.