Re: per-database locale: createdb switches - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: per-database locale: createdb switches
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Which raises yet another question, why CTYPE and COLLATE have to be
>> hardcoded settings and catalog columns instead of being stored in
>> datconfig as database-startup-only settings?
>
> Because changing CTYPE or COLLATE in an existing database would render
> indexes broken.
>
> Perhaps we could've put them in datconfig, and forbidden changing them
> after CREATE DATABASE. Then again, encoding is a similar setting too,
> and that's stored in a catalog column.

Yeah, it's a tricky case somewhere in between all the facilities that we
already have.

I notice in the documentation that the createdb --lc-ctype sets the
lc_ctype setting for the database, but the corresponding parameter for
CREATE DATABASE is CTYPE, but the global GUC setting is lc_ctype.
Should that be more consistent?