Re: [BUGS] Status of issue 4593 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: [BUGS] Status of issue 4593
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>>> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> That's not how SELECT FOR UPDATE works.  SFU is pessimistic manual
> locking, which is supposed to *wait* for the rows to be exclusively
> available.  The deadlock timeout you encountered is the correct
> behaviour, not "serialization failure", which is what happens at
commit
> time when the engine realizes that concurrent transactions are not
> serializably recreateable.
Deadlocks like this are the only kind of serialization error possible
under "traditional" (non-MVCC) databases.  These are much more rare in
MVCC than update conflicts, but that doesn't mean they aren't
serialization failures there, too.  I think it is a violation of the
standard for PostgreSQL not to report them with SQLSTATE '40001'.
-Kevin