Re: SET TRANSACTION and SQL Standard - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: SET TRANSACTION and SQL Standard
Date
Re: SET TRANSACTION and SQL Standard  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> I notice that we allow commands such as
>
> SET TRANSACTION read only read write read only;
>
> BEGIN TRANSACTION read only read only read only;
>
> Unsurprisingly, these violate the SQL Standard:
> * p.977 section 19.1 syntax (1)
> * p.957 section 17.3 syntax (2)

Well, we allow a lot of things.  Violations of the SQL standard happen
when a command that appears in the standard doesn't do what the standard
says.  Allowing commands that are not in the standard is not a violation.

While there is no huge use case for these particular cases, tolerating
redundant options is sometimes useful.