Re: Hot standby, slot ids and stuff - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Hot standby, slot ids and stuff
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 22:31 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> When a backend dies with FATAL, it writes an abort record before exiting.
>>
>> (I was under the impression it doesn't until few minutes ago myself,
>> when I actually read the shutdown code :-))
>
> Not in all cases; keep reading :-)

Want to give a clue? ShutdownPostgres is registered as an on_shmem_exit
hook in InitPostgres, and ShutdownPostgres calls AbortOutOfAnyTransaction.

PANIC is another story, but in that case the primary will go down, and
will write a new checkpoint soon after it starts up again.