Re: pg_group_name_index corrupt? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_group_name_index corrupt?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> okay, something that I think needs to be clarified ... RC5 requires an
> initdb, so you have to do a pg_dumpall first, then initdb, then reload ...

> your recent fixes ... should we be running pg_dumpall from RC5 on our RC4
> databases, or does it not matter?  I'm using the RC5 one right now, and
> all appears correct, but I figured I'd ask ...

pg_upgrade should work, or at least it's worth trying --- see the
message I just posted.  If you have anything in pg_group then the
best procedure is to use the RC5 pg_dumpall, since RC4 and before's
pg_dumpall neglects to dump pg_group.  In any case, RC4 and before's
pg_upgrade is now known to be broken, so be sure you use RC5's script
at that point.

Or just use dump/initdb/reload, but it'd be nice to get some pounding
on pg_upgrade and find out if it's trustworthy now.

I'd definitely recommend a full pg_dumpall before experimenting with
pg_upgrade, just in case things go worng ;-)