Re: Query performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Query performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
"Lou O'Quin" <loquin@talleyds.com> writes:
> Hi Tom.  I referenced the status line of pgAdmin.  Per the pgAdmin help
> file:
>
> "The status line will show how long the last query took to complete. If a
> dataset was returned, not only the elapsed time for server execution is
> displayed, but also the time to retrieve the data from the server to the
> Data Output page."

Well, you should probably ask the pgadmin boys exactly what they are
measuring.  In any case, the Postgres server overlaps query execution
with result sending, so I don't think it's possible to get a pure
measurement of just one of those costs --- certainly not by looking at
it only from the client end.

BTW, one factor to consider is that if the test client machines weren't
all the same speed, that would have some impact on their ability to
absorb 15K records ...

            regards, tom lane