Re: Do we work with LLVM 12 on s390x? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Stellard
Subject Re: Do we work with LLVM 12 on s390x?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 4/21/21 6:40 AM, Honza Horak wrote:
> On 3/19/21 8:15 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> writes:
>>> I think the error above comes from a "mismatch" between the clang used
>>> to compile bitcode, and the LLVM version linked to. Normally we're
>>> somewhat tolerant of differences between the two, but there was an ABI
>>> change at some point, leading to that error.  IIRC I hit that, but it
>>> vanished as soon as I used a matching libllvm and clang.
>>
>> Thanks, I passed that advice on.
>>
>>             regards, tom lane
>
> Tom Stellard was so kind to look at this issue deeper with his LLVM skills and found PostgreSQL is not actually
handlingthe LLVM perfectly. He's working on improving the patch, but sharing even the first attempt with upstream seems
likea good idea:

> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/postgresql/pull-request/29

I wrote a new patch based on the bug discussion[1].  It works around
the issue specifically on s390x rather than disabling specific
CPUs and features for all targets.  The patch is attached.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/16971-5d004d34742a3d35%40postgresql.org

> Regards,
> Honza

Attachment