Re: Convert Oracle DECODE to CASE Automatically - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Convert Oracle DECODE to CASE Automatically
Date
Re: Convert Oracle DECODE to CASE Automatically  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
List pgsql-general
"Matt Miller" <pgsql@mattmillersf.fastmail.fm> writes:
> I thought I saw a thread (here or on -hackers, or somewhere) where
> someone created a C program or something to automatically convert
> Oracle's DECODE expression into an ANSI CASE expression.

You could just use a compatibility function:

create function decode(anyelement,anyelement,anyelement,anyelement)
  returns anyelement as $$
    select case $1 when $2 then $3 else $4 end
  $$ language sql immutable;

create function decode(anyelement,anyelement,anyelement,anyelement,anyelement,anyelement)
  returns anyelement as $$
    select case $1 when $2 then $3 when $4 then $5 else $6 end
  $$ language sql immutable;

-- repeat up to the most number of decode items you need to support

It's annoying that we only have one "anyelement" pseudotype; this
formulation constrains the input and result types to be the same,
when logically they could be different.  Perhaps this example is
a sufficient argument for inventing "anyelement2".  Then it'd look like

create function decode(anyelement,anyelement,anyelement2,anyelement,anyelement2,anyelement2)
  returns anyelement2 as ...

I remember we talked about multiple placeholder types back when we
designed the polymorphic-function feature, but we didn't put it in
for lack of a compelling use-case.  Is this one?

            regards, tom lane