Re: PostgreSQL specific datatypes very confusing for beginners who use wrappers around JDBC - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL specific datatypes very confusing for beginners who use wrappers around JDBC
Date
Re: PostgreSQL specific datatypes very confusing for beginners who use wrappers around JDBC  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-general
John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> writes:
> On 1/28/2014 12:11 PM, Merlin G�ttlinger wrote:
>> I don't know if this is just a beginner problem but at least in my
>> opinion it is rather complicated to use the postgres specific types
>> and features from JDBC and its wrappers.

> these issues are entirely created by the wrappers you're using. like
> most such, they are undoubtedly designed for a lowest common
> denominator, and won't have support for database implementation specific
> data types, just common stuff like strings, numbers.

I think you can fix it by explicitly casting your placeholders, eg
"?::macaddr".

            regards, tom lane