Re: CREATE INDEX and HOT - revised design - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: CREATE INDEX and HOT - revised design
Date
Re: CREATE INDEX and HOT - revised design  ("Florian G. Pflug" <fgp@phlo.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Florian G. Pflug" <fgp@phlo.org> writes:
> Couldn't you store the creating transaction's xid in pg_index, and
> let other transaction check that against their snapshot like they
> would for any tuple's xmin or xmax?

What snapshot?  I keep having to remind people that system catalog
operations are SnapshotNow.  In the particular context here, the
place where doing something else would break down is that the planner
has no idea when it makes a plan what snapshot(s) the plan might later
be used with.