Re: data_checksums enabled by default (was: Move --data-checksums to common options in initdb --help) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Steele
Subject Re: data_checksums enabled by default (was: Move --data-checksums to common options in initdb --help)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/8/21 5:03 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2021, at 01:53, Laurenz Albe wrote:
>>
>> The serious crowd are more likely to choose a non-default setting
>> to avoid paying the price for a feature that they don't need.
>
> I don't really buy this argument. That way we're going to have an ever growing set of things that need to be tuned to
havea database that's usable in an even halfway busy setup. That's unavoidable in some cases, but it's a significant
costacross use cases.

> Increasing the overhead in the default config from one version to the next isn't great - it makes people more
hesitantto upgrade. It's also not a cost you're going to find all that quickly, and it's a really hard to pin down
cost.

I'm +1 for enabling checksums by default, even with the performance
penalties.

As far as people upgrading, one advantage is existing pg_upgrade'd
databases would not be affected. Only newly init'd clusters would get
this setting.

Regards,
--
-David