Re: [pgsql-general] Need Help With a A Simple Query That's Not So Simple - Mailing list pgsql-general

From James B. Byrne
Subject Re: [pgsql-general] Need Help With a A Simple Query That's Not So Simple
Date
List pgsql-general
> Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:51:02 -0600
> From: Bill Thoen <bthoen@gisnet.com>
> To: Postgrresql <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
> Subject: Need Help With a A Simple Query That's Not So
> Simple
>
> I think this should be easy, but I can't seem to put the
> SQL together correctly and would appreciate any help.
> (I'm using Pg 8.4 in CentOS 5.5, if that matters.)
>
> I have a table of Farms and a table of crops in a 1:M
> relationship of Farms : Crops. There are lots of
> different crops to choose form but for now I'm only
> interested in two crops; corn and soybeans.
>
> Some farms grow only corn and some grow only soybeans,
> and some grow both.  What I'd like to know is, which
> Farms and how many are growing only corn, which and
> how many are growing soybeans and which and how many are
> growing both? I can easily get all the corn growers with:
>
> SELECT a.*
>    FROM farms a
>    JOIN crops b
>      ON a.farm_id=b.farm_id
>   WHERE crop_cd='0041'
>
> I can do the same with soybeans (crop_cd= '0081') and
> then I could subtract the sum of these from the total
> of all farms that grow either corn or soybeans to get
> the number of farms growing both, but having to
> do all those queries sounds very time consuming and
> inefficient. Is there a better way to get the farm
> counts or data by categories like farms growing only
> corn, farms growing only soybeans, farms growing
> both? I'm also interested in possibly expanding to a
> general case where I could select more than two crops.
> and get counts of the permutations.
>
> Here's a sketch of the relevant pieces of the data base.
>
> *Tables:*
> farms crops
> ======= =======
> farm_id  bigint (pkey) crop_id   (pkey)
> type farm_id    foreign key to farms
> size crop_cd    0041 = corn 0081=soybeans
> ...                        year
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> TIA,
>
> - Bill Thoen

I believe that what you are trying to do is called
relational algebra division. Take a look at these
references and see if either fits your needs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_algebra#Division_.28.C3.B7.29

http://www.cs.arizona.edu/~mccann/research/divpresentation.pdf

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3