Re: SSL BIO wrappers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: SSL BIO wrappers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Attached patch replaces the SSL BIO wrapper code we have now, with one
>> that directly calls the send() and recv() functions instead. THis means
>> that they get passed through the rewrite macros to our internal
>> functions on Win32, and I think this will fix some of the strange errors
>> that seem to be platform specific there (there are some really hard to
>> reproduce bug reports around that).
>
> Hmm.  Basically what this is doing is exactly what the comment says we
> didn't want to do, namely copy-and-paste the implementations of
> OpenSSL's socket BIO functions.  How stable is that code?  If the
> functions haven't changed textually in a long time (at least across all
> the OpenSSL versions we claim to support) then maybe it's okay.

The logic in it is identical to the original import of code in OpenSSL.
It originally had #ifdefs around how the BIO interface worked. That was
tidied up in a commit back in 2001. I think it's fair to say it's been
pretty stable.

I don't read the comment as saying that, fwiw. It just says we may
eventually need to do what I did now, but for other reasons.

Do you have a comment around the "should we prepare for read even though
it's a write" part?

//Magnus