Re: pg_xlog content - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: pg_xlog content
Date
List pgsql-general
Siddharth Shah wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    When I initialize database, pg_xlog direcory takes almost 17 MB size
>    Why pg_xlog/WAL takes 17 MB of size while there is no transaction
> occurred ?
>
>    What is the content of pg_xlog , If it's only wal file it's must be
> blank after on write of transaction on database.

It's the WAL. Files will be 16MB in size and you will have several (I
think 3 is the minimum). If you have a large update that can increase.
See the checkpoint_segments setting if you think that's something you'll
do frequently.

If you are using WAL-based replication you could have lots if the
archive command keeps failing.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd