Re: Fixing flat user/group files at database startup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Fixing flat user/group files at database startup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I guess I'm confused by 'who' needs to 'get in' to have a bit of code
> run at the very end of the backend startup.  Apparently I'm somewhat
> naive in that area.

The point is that the postmaster is going to use the flat files to
check whether you're allowed to log in in the first place.  It does
you little good to have a fixup routine in place in backend startup
if you're not allowed to get that far.

(Indeed, one of the points on my personal TODO list entry for this
problem is to make sure the postmaster doesn't try to use the flat
files before we know they've been brought up to date.  Right at the
moment it loads them before even launching the WAL replay process...)