Re: libpq API incompatibility between 7.4 and 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: libpq API incompatibility between 7.4 and 8.0
Date
Re: libpq API incompatibility between 7.4 and 8.0  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
> We can rectify the mistake, but then we need to change the SONAME.
> That's what it's for.

Well, if you just want to bump libpq's SO_MAJOR_VERSION, I won't object.

This brings up a point that I think has been discussed before: we
operate on the assumption that incrementing SO_MINOR_VERSION is enough
to distinguish different releases of libpq, but in point of fact it
is not.  The Linux conventions for library names, for one, essentially
require us to bump SO_MAJOR_VERSION for every release if we want to have
any hope of letting different versions coexist.  Perhaps our convention
should be to bump SO_MAJOR_VERSION for each of our major releases and
only use SO_MINOR_VERSION when we change a library in a dot-release.