Re: Problem with accessing Russian UTF database - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Oliver Jowett
Subject Re: Problem with accessing Russian UTF database
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Ronald Vyhmeister wrote:

>         Locale locale = Locale.getDefault();
>         locale = new Locale("ru", "RU");

The driver ignores locale so this won't actually be doing anything.

>     SQL = "update sys_people set middle_name='фывфывафыва' where
> family_name='Pratt';";

I wouldn't rely on your JSP implementation / java compiler interpreting
that string literal in the way that you assume. I suggest you construct
your string with \uNNNN unicode escapes to be sure you're really
compiling what you think you're compiling. Your mail headers claims a
charset of "koi8-r" but I don't know what the default file encoding for
your target system is; perhaps it is using ISO-8859-1 or similar, which
might result in the above being interpreted as the accented characters
you see in PgAdmin?

Also, as I suggested earlier, try examining your strings
character-by-character to check that they really contain the codepoints
you think they contain.

-O