Re: Performance tuning in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From dev@archonet.com
Subject Re: Performance tuning in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
> Can someone tell me the various aspects of Hardware for performance tuning
> in PostgreSQL 7.3 on a RHL 8 server.
>
> How can I determine the required hardware configuration(CPUs,RAM,Shared
> Buffer Space,OS TCP/IP ports) for n number of connections or n number of
> users accessing the database?

The bad news is there's only one way and that's to test. Without knowing
how much data you have, in what tables and how you are querying/updating
it you really can't say much useful.

A few points though.

CPU: PostgreSQL will use multiple CPUs but one query runs on only one CPU.
RAM: more is better, pretty much always
Disk: fast and see the archives for details on placing the WAL on its own
disk.
Tuning: there's a performance mailing list, and some stuff on
techdocs.postgresql.org

Hope that's some use

- Richard Huxton