Re: EXECUTE in trigger functions. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hannes Dorbath
Subject Re: EXECUTE in trigger functions.
Date
List pgsql-general
David Brain wrote:
> Is there a way of using EXECUTE in trigger functions to to do something
> like:
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION insert_trigger()
>   RETURNS trigger AS
> $BODY$
> BEGIN
>     EXECUTE('INSERT INTO public_partitions.table_'
>     || date_part('year',NEW.eventdate)::VarChar
>     || lpad(date_part('month',NEW.eventdate)::Varchar,2,'0')
>     || lpad(date_part('day',NEW.eventdate)::Varchar,2,'0')
>     || ' VALUES (NEW.*)');
>     RETURN NULL;
> END;
> $BODY$
>   LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'
>
> This would obviously be very useful for partitioning - however if I try
> this I get:

Execute does execute a given string of SQL. To my knowledge there is no
way you can pass new.* to that statement. What should work is to use
prepare and bind all fields of new.* separately.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-prepare.html

--
Best regards,
Hannes Dorbath