Re: Annoying Reply-To - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Collin Kidder
Subject Re: Annoying Reply-To
Date
List pgsql-general
Angel Alvarez wrote:
> Well
>
> but the RFC's were in fact prior to thunderbird
> So for he most of its life, when few people was using it,
> Thiunderbird was a sad example of your botched attempt of creating a
> standar of NOT FOLLOWING THE RFC's...

But, as I mentioned, nobody cares about this particular standard. In my
opinion a standard which is totally ignored by almost everyone is
effectively dead and worthless.

> Well, also M$ thought they invented internet so its a common mistake.

I thought that was Al Gore that invented the internet. ;-)

> May be you can push Thunderbird guys a bit to include a little more funcionailty
> other than complaining others that try to follow what to seemed to be the right way.
>
> Are we going to try be standars compliant or we keep trying to reinvent the wheel?
>
> Poor RFC people, what a waste of time...

Standards are all well and good but anything should be evaluated for
it's utility. If a standard is undesirable then it's undesirable. Most
mailing lists do not exhibit the same behavior as this list not because
they are all ignorant of the standard but because they feel that
following the standard is not desirable. I'm perfectly fine to follow
the convention of this list. Some lists like top posting. Not this one.
That's ok, I'll bottom or interleaved post. All I'm saying is that one
cannot look to standards as gospel and disengage their brains. It's
perfectly acceptable to say 'this standard sucks!' And so, I along with
a couple of other people from this list, say 'this standard sucks.'