Re: Overhauling GUCS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hakan Kocaman
Subject Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 6/9/08, Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
"Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:

> Where analyze does systematically fall down is with databases over 500GB in
> size, but that's not a function of d_s_t but rather of our tiny sample size.

n_distinct. For that Josh is right, we *would* need a sample size proportional
to the whole data set which would practically require us to scan the whole
table (and have a technique for summarizing the results in a nearly constant
sized data structure).

Hi,
is this (summarizing results in a constant sized data structure) something which could be achived by Bloom-Filters ?
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-06/msg00076.php

Kind regards
Hakan Kocaman