Re: Backup strategies - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Backup strategies
Date
List pgsql-performance
Ivan Voras wrote:

> Warning: DO NOT do on-the-fly binary backups without snapshots.
> Archiving the database directory with tar on a regular file system,
> while the server is running, will result in an archive that most likely
> won't work when restored.

You can do non-snapshot-based filesystem level backups with
pg_start_backup() and pg_stop_backup() as part of a PITR setup. See:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/continuous-archiving.html

That's the setup I use, with a full backup taken weekly and WAL files
archived from then until the next full backup. There is always at least
one full backup at any time in case a backup fails, and I can roll back
in time for a minimum of a week if anything goes wrong.

I also include plain SQL dumps from pg_dump in the nightly disaster
recovery backups.

--
Craig Ringer