Re: table column vs. out param [1:0] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kristo Kaiv
Subject Re: table column vs. out param [1:0]
Date
List pgsql-general

On 23.08.2007, at 8:51, Kristo Kaiv wrote:

I am trying to implement the new out parameters in functions and stumbled upon a problem.
There is an internal requirement for our databases that every function call always returns 2 params status & status_text.
The problem now is that plpgsql selects the out params themselves into out params instead of function call results that i need there.
If this is the expected behavior of out params it makes using out params a bit complicated if some table attributes
happen to have the same name as out params. How can i overcome this situation? I can understand function variables having precedence
over column names as you can freely rename them but out params is a different situation.

snippet from code
-[cut]--

    out status int,                             -- 200
    out status_text text                        -- OK
) AS $$
BEGIN

-[cut]--
            SELECT status, status_text
              FROM service._simple_add(
                    i_key_user
                   ,i_key_service
                   ,i_action
                   ,i_subscr_len)
              INTO status, status_text;
-[cut]-

using a table (function) alias seems to solve the problem.

Kristo Kaiv
http://kaiv.wordpress.com (PostgreSQL blog)