Re: namespace in pgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From RW
Subject Re: namespace in pgsql
Date
List pgsql-general
> 1) Is it possible to have namespace like in OOP, in pgsql query.....
> means as I know we can reference table or its column with fashion like
> <schema>.<table_name>, but is it possible like
> <db_name>.<schema>.<table_name> ???

As far as I know this is only possible with dblink which is a contrib
module.
> 2) Is it fine if I store all data in one db ( well most of the table
> with 2000+ rows ) ? OR better to created 2-3 dbs and store those
> tables...

I don't see any reason not to store the data in one database with tables
with 2000+ rows.
But it of course depends on the data. If you have a dataware house it
could make
sense to distribute the data on different maschines and connect them
with dblink to
distribute the load. For general databases its normally more important
to set
the postgresql.conf parameter right, use a adequate sized maschine and
storage (e.g. RAID 10 instead of RAID 5) and create indexes where it make
sense.

- Robert