Re: PostgreSQL future ideas - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zdenek Kotala
Subject Re: PostgreSQL future ideas
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gevik Babakhani napsal(a):
> Dear PG hackers,
>
> Has there been any idea to port PG to a more modern programming language
> like C++? Of course there are some minor obstacles like a new OO design,
> this being a gigantic task to perform and rewriting almost everything etc...
> I am very interested to hear your opinion.

Firebird did it 5 years ago. They of course use only small part of C++
and they could do that because they takeover source code and they
started to clean a code.

Advantage of C++ is that it reduce lot of OO code written in C in
postgresql, but it is so big effort to do that without small gain. It
will increase number of bugs. Do not forget also that C++ compiler is
not so common (so good) on different platforms. If somebody interesting
in that yes but like a fork ( PostgreSQL++ :-).

Better idea is to start to use C99 in postgreSQL ;-).
    Zdenek