Re: match an IP address - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re: match an IP address
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Phoenix Kiula wrote:
>>  Please forgive my attempt to help you based on a woefully insufficient
>> description of your problem and situation. I will not make any attempt to do
>> so again.
>
> To others: thanks for your suggestions, but this issue is not one of
> session IDs, nor is it solved by storing IP addresses separately
> (which does not assume 1:1 correlation between user and IP). We'll let
> that be.
>
> Let's just say that in *many* online situations it is vital for
> querying speed to have the same column that stores users -- both
> registered and unregistered. A query in SQL that matches against an IP

if not registered, where is the user coming from? The IP is clearly not
an identifier for a user. You (and the OP) should disregard that idea.

> address regexp to identify the unregistered ones may work for some
> with smaller databases, which is great, and if it doesn't (the "~"
> match is simply not practical for large busy websites), then consider
> a small separate column that stores the registration status as a flag.

The user id itself would serve as that flag. If non NULL -> user known,
otherwise unknown. Sounds easy, no? No regex at all! :)

> Thanks.

Thx ;)

Tino

Attachment