Re: pg_regress inputdir - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: pg_regress inputdir
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Jorgen Austvik - Sun Norway wrote:
>
>> The attached patch makes pg_regress write converted files to
>> <inputdir>/sql and <inputdir>/expected, which is one way to make it read
>> and write to the same directory. Tested on Solaris x86 with pgsql "make
>> check" and standalone.
>
> Okay, so this patch does change it in a way that it still works, but
> what else do you need to be able to run the test from another directory?
> I tried to run the test from another directory with this patch
> installed, and found that it didn't work because it's replacing
> @abs_builddir@ in the input files improperly (to the current path; it
> should be using the output dir path, I think)
>
> So maybe this is a step in the right direction, but ISTM you need a
> slightly larger patch for it to be actually useful.
>
> If I am not making sense, then maybe I am not understanding what you
> mean by running it standalone.  In that case, please explain.

I think the appropriate interface would be adding another option to
pg_regress called --workdir or --tempdir, which defaults to PWD, and
write the converted sql files there, and then look for the sql files to
execute in workdir/sql and in inputdir/sql.  In some way, this copies
the vpath search mechanism.