Re: Proposed patch: make SQL interval-literal syntax work per spec - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Proposed patch: make SQL interval-literal syntax work per spec
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> writes:
>> '1Y1M'::interval  ... minute ... month
> Hmmm.  I would say that the problem with that is not that it's
> nonstandard but that it's ambiguous.

Ah yes.

> Our documentation...says..."or abbreviations".
>...What if we just tweak the code to
> reject ambiguous abbreviations?

Good idea.  I'll try that.

> [ experiments a bit... ]  Another interesting point is that "mo",
> which is a perfectly unique abbreviation, is rejected.  Seems like
> the handling of abbreviations in this code could be improved.

It looks like rather than abbreviations being any shorter
form of a unit, it has an explicit list of abbreviations
it likes (deltatktbl) in the beginning of datetime.c that
forces "m" to "minute"?  So losing the ambiguous ones
should be very easy.