Re: abusing plpgsql array variables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Artacus
Subject Re: abusing plpgsql array variables
Date
List pgsql-general
> If I want to pass in a text[] argument to a plpgsql function, at what
> array size am I asking for problems? 100? 10,000? 100,000?
>
> What severity of problems might I encounter? Bad performance? Postgres
> refusing to run my query? A crashed backend?

Yeah, like you I was pretty worried about how it would handle using
larger arrays. But I was surprised to find that it did a super job of
handling even large arrays.

One warning though. If you are going to filter a table based on values
in a large array, don't do something like:

WHERE foo = ANY some_large_array

Instead explode it using a set returning function and join it like a table:

JOIN explode(some_large_array) e ON ...