Re: Page layout footprint - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zdenek Kotala
Subject Re: Page layout footprint
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gregory Stark napsal(a):
> Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM> writes:
>
>> Hmm, good question.  For example ZFS is platform independent, you can take disk
>> from SPARC machine and plug it into x86 and ZFS works perfectly.
>
> FWIW as far as I know *all* filesystems are platform independent. (Of course
> now someone is surely going to find some counter-example) Doesn't really
> change the argument though.

Yeah, of course. I selected bad word. ZFS write data structures in native endian
format. It does not need convert data to correct byte order. Only if you switch
harddisk from SPARC to x86 you need convert bytes order. Other systems has a
penalty for endian conversion on oposit platform or conversion is not supported.
However, I'm not sure if ext3 filesystem which is created on x86 machine is
readable under linux on SPARC machine? FAT32 works fine :-) everywhere.

Maybe optimized platform independence is better term.
    Zdenek

--
Zdenek Kotala              Sun Microsystems
Prague, Czech Republic     http://sun.com/postgresql