Re: slow update of index during insert/copy - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Thomas Finneid
Subject Re: slow update of index during insert/copy
Date
Re: slow update of index during insert/copy  ("Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Scott Carey wrote:
> For a development box, just enable write-back caching regardless of the
> battery back up situation.  As long as its not your only copy of

Will have a look at it, the data is not important and can be reproduced
any time on any machine. The controller I have is a Areca ARC-1220
Serial ATA 8 port RAID Controller - PCI-E, SATA II, so I dont know
exactly what it supports of caching.

> On JDBC and COPY:
> Thanks for the info on the patch to support it -- however the versions
> posted there are rather old, and the 8.3 version is not even the same as
> the 8 month old current release -- its 3 releases prior and 8 months
> older than that.  There are quite a few bugfixes between 8.3 - v600 and
> v603: http://jdbc.postgresql.org/changes.html  and that concerns me.  Is
> there a patched version of the latest driver?  Or will that have to be

It was someone on the list who told me about the patch, I dont know the
situation of the patch at the current moment. I am using the patch on an
  PG 8.2.7, and it works fine.

> On the performance impact of using COPY instead of INSERT :  out of
> curiosity, were you comparing COPY against raw row-by-row inserts (slow)
> or JDBC batch inserts (faster) or multi-row inserts: INSERT into X
> (a,b,c) values (1,2,3) , (4,5,6) , (7,8,9 ) , (10,11,12)  ....
> ?

I tested row by row and jdbc batch, but I dont have the measured numbers
any more. But I suppose I could recreate the test if, need be.

regards
thomas