Re: A smaller default postgresql.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: A smaller default postgresql.conf
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kevin,

> # maintenance_work_mem = 256MB  #webserver with 2GB RAM

Well, that was before multiple autovacuum workers. Now, you'd want it
lower.  But ... it's better for vacuum to finish quickly than to drag
on.  Vacuum uses more I/O than it does RAM.

> But I'm amazed by this, too:
>
> # max_connections = 700  # web application database
>
> How many CPUs and spindles are you assuming there?

I'm assuming that the user isn't using connection pooling, and 7/8 of
those connections will be idle at any given time.

--Josh