Re: What's size of your PostgreSQL Database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent Wood
Subject Re: What's size of your PostgreSQL Database?
Date
List pgsql-general
I have a db (tables with up to 5,000,000 records, up to 70 columns x 1,500,000 records, around 50Gb of disk space  for
thedatabase (incl data, indexes, etc)

Most records have PostGIS geometry columns, which work very well.

For read performance this is on a (2 yr old) Linux box with 2x software RAID 0 (striped) WD 10,000RPM  Raptor drives.

FWIW bonnie gives reads at about 150Mb/sec from the filesystem. We have been more than happy with performance.
though the 4Gb of RAM helps....

For data security, pg_dump backs it up every second day onto another 250Gb drive on the box, & this is copied over the
LANto another server which is backed up to tape every day.

It works for us :-)

Cheers,

  Brent Wood

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 11:01 -0400, justin wrote:
> Ow Mun Heng wrote:

I'm looking for purely read-only performance and since I didn't have the
bandwidth to do extensive testing, I didn't know whether a RAID1 or a
Raid 0 will do the better job. In the end, I decided to go with RAID 0
and now, I'm thinking if RAID1 will do a better job.