Re: Extending varlena - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Chernow
Subject Re: Extending varlena
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jeff Davis wrote:
>> I always find these requests puzzling.  Is it really useful to store the
>> data for a jpeg, video file or a 10GB tar ball in a database column?
>
> One use case is that it can use the existing postgresql protocol,

So can what I am suggesting.  How about a user-defined C function in the
backend that talks to the fs and uses SPI to sync info with a record?
Now the operation is behind a transaction.  Yet, one must handle fs
orphans from evil crash cases.

Just one solution, but other more creative cats may have better ideas.
the point is, it can be done without too much effort.  A little TLC :)

Andrew