Re: Transaction-controlled robustness for replication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Markus Wanner
Subject Re: Transaction-controlled robustness for replication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Actually I think the idea here is to take certain WAL records, translate
> them into "portable" constructs, ship them,

At which point it clearly shouldn't be called a WAL shipping method.
What would it have to do with the WAL at all, then? Why translate from
WAL records at all, better use the real tuples right away. (Almost
needless to say that here, but obviously Postgres-R does it that way).

So far, Simon really seems to mean WAL shipping: "it allows WAL to be
used as the replication transport", see [1].

Regards

Markus Wanner

[1]: mail to -hackers from Simon, Subject: "Plans for 8.4":
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg01010.php