Re: proposal: UTF8 to_ascii function - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: proposal: UTF8 to_ascii function
Date
Re: proposal: UTF8 to_ascii function  ("Pavel Stehule" <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

Pavel Stehule wrote:

> One note - convert_to is correct. But we have to use to_ascii without
> decode functions. It has same behave - convert from bytea to text.
> Text in "incorrect" encoding is dafacto bytea. So correct to_ascii
> function prototypes are:
>
> to_ascii(text)
> to_ascii(bytea, integer);
> to_ascii(bytea, name);

What you have not said is how you propose to convert UTF8 to ASCII.

Currently to_ascii() converts a small number of single byte charsets to
ASCII by folding the chars with high bits set, so what we get is a pure
ASCII result which is safe in any server encoding, as they are all ASCII
supersets.

But what conversion rule will you use for the gazillions of Unicode
characters?

I honestly do not understand the use case for this at all.

cheers

andrew