Re: Proposal: PageLayout footprint - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zdenek Kotala
Subject Re: Proposal: PageLayout footprint
Date
Re: Proposal: PageLayout footprint  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas napsal(a):
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>> Current content of control file is insufficient to check if database
>> is compatible with postgres server.
>
> It is? Do you have an example of where it's insufficient?

Current control file contain following information (related to page layout):

maxAlign
blcksz
toast_max_chunk_size

But you don't have control how aligned is each member of data structure.

By my opinion -fipa-struct-reorg GCC option could break structure. And maybe
there are more compiler magic switches and optimization on different platforms
which can modify structure alignment or member order. It probably does not
happen often but footprint should protect people to shot himself.
Zdenek

PS: And of course toast_max_chunk_size is not insufficient as well. There are
more constants like MaxHeapTupleSize and so on, but it is different story.