Re: file system and raid performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: file system and raid performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
Gregory S. Youngblood wrote:
>> From: Mark Kirkwood [mailto:markir@paradise.net.nz]
>> Mark Wong wrote:

>> JFS, XFS,

>> used

>> tests? And,

>> bit or

>> lazy-count),

>>> The default (no arguments specified) parameters were used to create
>>> the XFS partitions.  Mount options specified are described in the
>>> table.  This was a 64-bit OS.
>>>

>> I think it is a good idea to match the raid stripe size and give some
>> indication of how many disks are in the array. E.g:
>>
>> For a 4 disk system with 256K stripe size I used:
>>
>>  $ mkfs.xfs -d su=256k,sw=2 /dev/mdx
>>
>> which performed about 2-3 times quicker than the default (I did try
>> sw=4
>> as well, but didn't notice any difference compared to sw=4).
>>

> [Greg says]
> I thought that xfs picked up those details when using md and a soft-raid
> configuration.

You are right, it does (I may be recalling performance from my other
machine that has a 3Ware card - this was a couple of years ago...)
Anyway, I'm thinking for the Hardware raid tests they may need to be
specified.

Cheers

Mark