Re: file system and raid performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: file system and raid performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> You are right, it does (I may be recalling performance from my other
> machine that has a 3Ware card - this was a couple of years ago...)
> Anyway, I'm thinking for the Hardware raid tests they may need to be
> specified.

FWIW - of course this somewhat academic given that the single disk xfs
test failed! I'm puzzled - having a Gentoo system of similar
configuration (2.6.25-gentoo-r6) and running the fio tests a little
modified for my config (2 cpu PIII 2G RAM with 4x ATA disks RAID0 and
all xfs filesystems - I changed sizes of files to 4G and no. processes
to 4) all tests that failed on Marks HP work on my Supermicro P2TDER +
Promise TX4000. In fact the performance is pretty reasonable on the old
girl as well (seq read is 142Mb/s and the random read/write is 12.7/12.0
Mb/s).

I certainly would like to see some more info on why the xfs tests were
failing - as on most systems I've encountered xfs is a great performer.

regards

Mark