Re: pg_dump error - out of memory, Failed on request of size 536870912 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Marcin Citowicki
Subject Re: pg_dump error - out of memory, Failed on request of size 536870912
Date
Re: pg_dump error - out of memory, Failed on request of size 536870912  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc>)
List pgsql-performance
Hello,

I forgot to add - all those 'out of memory' errors happen when backup db
is trying to create index. Every 'CREATE INDEX' operation is followed by
'out of memory' error.
Thanks!

Marcin

Marcin Citowicki wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a bit of a problem with the daily db backup. At the moment the
> backup db size is half of the main db, and we have the following
> errors in the log file:
>
> ERROR: out of memory
> DETAIL: Failed on request of size 536870912
>
> (There's a bunch of those.)
>
> There were some 'permission denied for language c' errors earlier in
> the log, but then the backup continued for a while.
>
> This is the command we're running:
>
> pg_dump -c -h $DB_HOST -U $DB_USER $DB_NAME | PGOPTIONS='-c
> maintenance_work_mem=1500MB -c sort_mem=64MB'
> psql --quiet -U $DB_DUMP_USER -h $DB_DUMP_HOST $DB_DUMP_NAME;
>
> Both databases (main and backup) are Postgres 8.3.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this problem. Also, if
> you have a better idea on running a daily backup please let me know.
> Thanks!
>
> Marcin

Attachment