Re: plan invalidation vs stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martin Pihlak
Subject Re: plan invalidation vs stored procedures
Date
Re: plan invalidation vs stored procedures  ("Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
>> DROP FUNCTION
>> create function foo() returns integer as $$ begin return 2; end; $$ language plpgsql;
>> CREATE FUNCTION
>> execute c1;
>> psql:test.sql:11: ERROR:  cache lookup failed for function 36555
>
> This is simply a bad, wrong, stupid way to do it.  Why do you not use
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION?

Well, the test case was an illustration. The actual reason for DROP and CREATE is
the inability to change function return type. In our case there are plpgsql OUT
parameters involved, and there is no other way to add additional OUT parameters
without dropping the function first. I'd be glad if this was fixed, but I still
think that proper plan invalidation for function changes is needed (inlined
functions, ALTER FUNCTION stuff etc.)

regards,
Martin