Re: email built in type - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bernd Helmle
Subject Re: email built in type
Date
List pgsql-hackers
--On Samstag, Mai 08, 2004 14:14:10 +0200 Gaetano Mendola
<mendola@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> about you is it ok for you if I write the email built in type ?
>
> I know of course that I can do it with a DOMAIN.
>
> Regards
> Gaetano Mendola

Funny, I had the idea some time ago, too. The problem was that I needed some
fast and easy-to-use interface to manage much email adresses for a
e-marketing system. Because i've run out of time, i decided to do syntax
stuff on the application side (the regexp for validation isn't really
complicated...) and queries with some kind of "access functions" like
get_domain, get_alias. If you put a functional index on them the queries
are fast and efficient.
Query all email adresses for a specific characteristic with such functions
isn't complicated, you can do that even with SUBSTRING in simple
SQL-functions and i can't really see the advantage of a '>>' operator
against a get_domain() function (regarded to usability) now.

Anyways, perhaps this is something for pgfoundry?

--  Bernd