Re: Postgres-R: primary key patches - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Markus Wanner
Subject Re: Postgres-R: primary key patches
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

David Fetter wrote:
> While I'm a "chicken" rather than a "pig" on this project
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chicken_and_the_Pig>, I believe that
> covering the more general case right from the start would be a much
> better plan.

I was trying to say that Postgres-R internally relies only on a unique
index with not null constraint. It doesn't care if you name it PRIMARY
KEY or REPLICATION KEY or whatever.

So, it's just a question of the syntax. We already have PRIMARY KEYs,
and those are pretty much what I think is needed in 99% of all cases as
the pointer to the replication

While I'm normally an absolute fan of generality,

I think you didn't quite get the point.