Re: postmaster.pid disappeared - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postmaster.pid disappeared
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Junaili Lie <junaili@gmail.com> writes:
> I am running postgresql 7.4.8 on solaris 10 (and I compile and
> installed slony). Everytime I am trying to reload the configuration
> using pg_ctl reload -D $PGDATA, it deleted the postmaster.pid and
> didn't create a new one.

That's very strange.  The pg_ctl script itself doesn't delete
the postmaster.pid file under any circumstances (unless maybe
you are using a locally modified version?), and the postmaster
shouldn't delete it either unless exiting.  Can you determine
exactly where the unlink call is coming from?  strace or local
equivalent may help.